Breaking News cricket FEATURED Health Sports

Cricket Australia announces further changes to upcoming matches and tours

Read Time:2 Minute, 18 Second

Cricket Australia has today announced further changes to upcoming series and tours, including the final round of the Marsh Sheffield Shield, and upcoming Under 19’s tours, due to the global coronavirus pandemic:

SHEFFIELD SHIELD

The final round of the Sheffield Shield season has been cancelled in an effort to reduce travel.

The matches impacted are: South Australia v Queensland (March 17), Western Australia v New South Wales (March 17) and Victoria v Tasmania (March 19).

A decision as to whether the Final (March 27) will continue will be made in due course.

UNDER 19’s

The Australian under 19’s women’s tour of South Africa for the Women’s Emerging Tri-Series has been cancelled.

The matches impacted are: Australia under 19s v England Women Academy (April 15), Australia under 19s v SA Emerging (April 1), Australia under 19s v England Women Academy (April 21), Australia under 19s v SA Emerging (April 23), Australia under 19s v England Women Academy (April 27), Australia under 19s v SA Emerging (April 29), Final (May 1).

This follows the decision on Friday to postpone the Australian women’s tour of South Africa.

As was announced earlier on Sunday, the Australian under 19s Indigenous team’s T20 tour of New Zealand scheduled for later this month has been postponed.

MEN’S INTERNATIONALS

As was announced on Saturday (14th March), the two remaining matches of the Chappell-Hadlee One-Day Series (March 15 and 20) in Australia and the three-match T20 International series (March 24, 27 and 29) in New Zealand have been postponed until further notice.

This follows new travel restrictions announced by the New Zealand government announced today, which resulted in the New Zealand men’s team returning home with immediate effect.

The first match of the Chappell-Hadlee series was played behind closed doors at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Friday.

Cricket Australia and New Zealand Cricket will work together to identify a future opportunity to play both series.

Kevin Roberts, Cricket Australia’s Chief Executive Officer, said the measures were appropriate given the current global health crisis.

“At times like this, cricket must take a back seat for the greater good,” Roberts said. “We have been in consultation with the relevant government agencies, our own medical team and an infectious diseases expert for quite some time now, and we have taken all their advice into account in making these decisions.

“In recent days, it has become evident that we must play our part in helping limit the spread of the virus by reducing person-to-person contact wherever possible. These reflect that.

“The decision made this week are not something we are accustomed to in cricket. But by making them, we hope we can contribute to the global effort to slow, and eventually stop, the spread of Coronavirus.”

 

 

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %