June 15, 2021

Ozsports Online Network

Where Sports Come To Play

Former Sydney Kings Player Andrew Bogut takes 10% share in the Sydney Kings

2 min read

Andrew Bogut threatened to walk away from becoming a part-owner of the Sydney Kings because he says, National Basketball League owner Larry Kestelman wants to “muzzle me”. – By Andrew Webster Sydney Morning Herald   February 15, 2021

What has changed I am not sure, Bogut has exercised his option to purchase a share in the NBL side The Sydney Kings.

Part of the deal In April 2018 was when Bogut signed with the Kings was his ability to exercise the option to buy a 10 percent stake in the club when he retired.

The Hungry Jack’s NBL welcomes Andrew Bogut as a part-owner of the Sydney Kings.

Bogut will have an interest of 10% in the Kings, the club for which he played two NBL seasons before announcing his retirement from professional basketball last year.

The 36-year-old is one of Australia’s greatest ever basketballers, with his achievements including playing 783 NBA games with the Golden State Warriors from 2005-2019, winning the 2015 NBA Championship, representing Australia at three Olympic Games, and winning the 2019 NBL MVP with Sydney.

Hungry Jack’s NBL Owner and Executive Chairman Larry Kestelman said: “We are excited to welcome Andrew as a part-owner of the Sydney Kings.

“It is a big endorsement of the NBL that somebody of Andrew’s caliber wants to enter the club ownership family and use his knowledge and expertise to help make the Kings and the league better. We are very much looking forward to him being a positive influence in continuing the strong growth trajectory of the league.

“Andrew made an enormous contribution to Australian basketball during his playing career and we believe he has just as much to give off the court.

“The Kings are a very important part of our league and Andrew’s voice will only help them continue to grow their profile in Sydney and across Australia. They’ve played a vital role in the NBL’s continuous growth over the past six years and we look forward to that progressing into the future.

“Andrew becomes the 12th NBA player to currently own an interest in an NBL club, which continues to highlight the NBL’s status as one of the best basketball leagues in the world outside of the NBA. We are very confident that Andrew set an important precedent and that more Australian NBA stars will return to play in the NBL and take an ownership interest in NBL clubs in the future.

“Like all sports, we have endured our challenges this season but we look forward to what promises to be a thrilling Hungry Jack’s NBL Finals series beginning next week.”

Bogut said: “I am delighted to be formally joining the Sydney Kings ownership group.

“In the next journey of my life after retiring from the great game of basketball, I look forward to continuing to help make the Sydney Kings the premier basketball franchise in the NBL.”